4 tablespoons butter
4 tablespoons flour
¾ cup onion, diced small
½ cup celery, diced small
½ cup green bell pepper, diced small
1 tablespoon garlic, minced
½ cup sliced okra
1 tablespoon jalapeño pepper,diced small
6 tablespoons white wine
6 cups shrimp stock (or other fish stock)
1 cup oyster liquor
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
2 tablespoons tarragon, chopped
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
½ cup black eyed peas, dried, crushed, and soaked overnight
6 large prawns (preferably from Lauren Farms if in MS)
¼ cup smoked catfish
3 tablespoons base mayonnaise
2 tablespoons Creole mustard
3 tablespoons minced shallot
3 tablespoons minced green onion
2 tablespoons minced celery
2 teaspoon minced garlic
1 whole boiled egg chopped
1½ tablespoons capers, chopped
4 dashes tabasco
1 ½ teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons black pepper
6 whole turnips (peeled and boiled in salted water to knife tender)
- Make a dark roux in a medium soup pot or cast iron Dutch oven.
- Add onion, pepper, garlic, and celery and cook until tender.
- Stir in okra and jalapeño and sauté again. Stir in white wine, shrimp stock, oyster liquor and lemon juice. Bring to a simmer.
- Add black eyed peas and simmer for 30 minutes. Stir in seafood 7-10 minutes before serving. Season with salt and pepper.
- For turnip salad, stir together everything but the turnips and blend well. Pour over turnips and combine well. Scoop a dollop of turnip salad into each bowl of gumbo and serve.
- from Chef John Currence of City Grocery in Oxford, MS