Makes one cocktail
3 ounces non-alcoholic amaro (Recipe follows)
¾ ounces lime juice
Ginger beer to top
Garnish: Freshly grated nutmeg
2 cups plus 1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon Quassia Bitter Wood (or any bittering agent of your choice)
2 tablespoons whole allspice
1 ½ teaspoons star anise
1 ½ teaspoons fennel
1 teaspoon black peppercorns
4 ¼ cups water
4 tablespoons orange peels
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon chicory
Simple syrup as needed
- Combine non-alcoholic amaro and lime juice in a shaker tin and shake vigorously for 10 seconds.
- Strain in a collins glass, top with 2 ounces of ginger beer and ice.
- Grate nutmeg on top and serve.
- In a medium saucepot, toast sugar over medium heat until dissolved, stirring often so as to not caramelize.
- Once sugar is melted, add bitter wood and all spices.
- While stirring, slowly and carefully add water.
- Add orange peels and lower heat. Simmer on low for 1 hour, stirring every so often.
- Remove from heat.
- Allow mixture to cool completely before straining.
- If the amaro is too bitter, add simple syrup to taste.
- Keep refrigerated for up to one month.
- By Abbey Sanders of Southbound, Chamblee, Georgia