2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
1½ cups plus 1 tablespoon sugar, divided
¾ cup cornstarch
2 tablespoons orange zest
2 tablespoons orange juice
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Pastry for 1 (9-inch) double-crust pie
1 cup slivered almonds
2 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon milk
1 cup whipped cream for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a large bowl, combine blueberries, cranberries, 1½ cups sugar, cornstarch, orange zest, orange juice, and vanilla.
- Pour fruit mixture into an unbaked 9-inch pie crust, sprinkle with slivered almonds, and dot with butter.
- Lay top crust over fruit and crimp edges to seal.
- Make a few decorative cutouts or slits in top crust to allow steam to escape.
- Brush with milk, then sprinkle evenly with 1 tablespoon sugar.
- Place pie on a baking sheet and bake until the filling is hot and bubbly, about 1 hour. If edges begin to brown too quickly, cover pie with foil. Let cool on a wire rack before serving.
Recipe FromNathalie Dupree, author of Mastering the Art of Southern Cooking