For the filling:
3 Granny Smith apples, peeled and sliced ¼-inch thick
2 cups sugar
⅓ cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
Pinch garam masala
1 tablespoon lemon juice
¼ cup brown sugar
¼ cup all-purpose flour
¼ cup butter, chilled and diced
For the topping:
Make the filling:
- Combine all ingredients in a pot and place over medium heat.
- Let apples steam for 5 minutes and then remove from heat.
- Divide among 4 ramekins. Refrigerate to cool.
Make the topping:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, mix ingredients together.
- Once ramekins are cool, crumble topping onto apples.
- Cook in oven for 5 minutes, then under broiler until golden brown.
- Recipe from chef Ari Kolender of Leon's Oyster Shop, Charleston, South Carolina