1 ½ sleeps of saltine crackers
⅓ – ½ cup softened unsalted butter
3 tablespoons sugar
1 can sweetened condensed milk
4 egg yolks
½ cup lemon juice or lime juice or a mix of the two
Fresh whipped cream
Coarse sea salt for garnish
- Preheat oven 350 degrees.
- Crush the crackers finely but not to dust. You can use a food processor, but if I’m just making a pie or two I use my hands. Add the sugar, then knead in the butter until the crumbs hold together like dough.
- Press dough into an 8-inch pie pan. Chill for 15 minutes, then bake for 18 minutes or until the crust colors a little.
- While the crust is cooling—it doesn’t need to be cold—beat the egg yolks into the milk, then beat in the citrus juice. It is important to completely combine these ingredients.
- Pour into the shell and bake for 16 minutes until the filling has set. The pie needs to be completely cold to be sliced. Serve with fresh whipped cream and a sprinkling of sea salt.
- from Chef Bill Smith, Crook’s Corner, Chapel Hill, North Carolina