Chef DelJuan Murphy first discovered Lillie’s of Charleston sauces and seasonings when he served as the chef at Fleet Landing in downtown Charleston. Instantly impressed by Holy City-based company’s mild steak sauce, he began incorporating their various products not only onto the menu, but also into his home kitchen. After years of using Lillie’s products, he was commissioned with developing a recipe that showcased their products at the 2022 Charleston Wine and Food Festival. After giving it plenty of thought, he developed this barbecue street corn to share with the crowds.
While festival goers only tasted a sample, this recipe lets you easily recreate the side dish at home.
4 ears of corn, shucked
1 red bell pepper
1 green bell pepper
¼ cup diced scallions
1 teaspoon Lillie’s of Charleston Ho-Lotta spice
½ teaspoon Lillie’s of Charleston Hissy Fit Spice
½ teaspoon Lillie’s of Charleston Sweet Smoke Spice
¼ teaspoon salt
1 cup Lillie’s of Charleston Mild Barbecue Sauce
¼ to ½ cup (depending on your taste) pickled okra, chopped
- Heat a grill to high heat, and grill heads of corn for 2 minutes on each side, rotating four times total. Set aside.
- In a sauté pan over medium heat, sauté whites of green onions until translucent, about 3 minutes. Add the peppers and sauté for about 30 seconds. Add the spices to the mixture and stir.
- While the vegetable mixture cooks, remove the corn kernels from the cooled ears. Add to the sauté pan, along with the barbecue sauce, and turn down the heat to low and let simmer. The sugars in the sauce will burn easily, so it’s important to stir frequently.
- Once everything is warmed through, serve immediately with pickled okra and chopped scallions.
- Created by chef DelJuan Murphy of Delicious Carolina