3 ounces barrel-aged rye whiskey with horehound candy
3 dashes of Peychaud’s Bitters
3 ounces steaming water
Dollop of maple syrup meringue (recipe follows)
Rock candy on a stick for garnish
Star anise for garnish
1 egg white
1-2 teaspoon maple syrup
Maple Syrup Meringue
- Pour barrel-aged rye whiskey and bitters into a mixing glass.
- Add steaming water and ignite the mixture, warming the contents thoroughly (drink is served warm) with two handled tankards pouring back and forth from each glass.
- Pour into a cocktail glass and top with a dollop of maple syrup meringue. Add rock candy on a stick and a
- piece of star anise. Drink and enjoy!
Maple Syrup Meringue / Shake egg white with maple syrup in a Boston shaker until thick.
- from Gary Crunkleton of The Crunkleton, Chapel Hill, NC