Make SNOB’s recipe for batter-fried hard-shell blue crab for spice and all things nice.
Have blue crab in a spicy beer batter that brings the Atlantic crustaceans from the sea to the plate in a yummy way. The Local Palate readers agree that this recipe was so delicious and it made the most popular recipes list for 2021.
2 to 4 servings
2 cups self-rising flour
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon salt
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 twelve-ounce beer
2 cups mayonnaise
1 cup ketchup
1 cup Crystal hot sauce
½ cup yellow mustard
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon salt
4-6 fresh live crabs
Oil for frying
Spicy Beer Batter
- Make the spicy beer batter mixing the dry ingredients together. Separately, whip the eggs and add the beer to the eggs. Mix the wet into the dry.
- Make the dipping sauce by mixing all ingredients together. Refrigerate while you tackle the rest.
- Heat oil in deep pot or fryer to at 325-350 degrees
- Prepare crab by removing outer shell, mouth, eyes and apron. Remove the lungs, the “dead man”, and the guts from the center of the crab, keeping claws and legs intact.* The crab is now ready to fry.
- Dip crabs into batter and deep fry for 3- 5 minutes, until crab floats and turns golden brown.
- Serve with dipping sauce and don’t be afraid to get messy.
- from Chef Frank Lee of SNOB in Charleston, South Carolina