3 onions, chopped,
1 cup salt,
2 ounces dried arbol chiles,
2 ounces dried pasilla chiles,
3 tablespoons ground cumin,
3 tablespoons ground coriander,
1 star anise, ground,
¼ teaspoon cardamom,
1 cup lemon juice,
4 cups blended olive oil,
6 pounds beef short ribs,
Salt and cracked black pepper,
- For harissa sauce, toss onions with salt in a large bowl. Place salted onions in a strainer and drain overnight.
- Rehydrate arbol and pasilla chiles in simmering water until soft. Remove from water and pat dry.
- Mix all ingredients except for oil in a food processor. Once combined, slowly add oil in steady stream.
- For ribs, heat grill to about 325 degrees or medium-low heat.
- Season ribs with salt, pepper, and oil. Grill ribs over charcoal or hardwood until internal temperature reaches 155 degrees.
- Lightly brush harissa sauce on all sides of ribs. Turn off grill and let ribs sit for 20 minutes on grill, closed if there is a top.
- from Chefs Jay Swift and Jeb Aldrich, 4th & Swift, Atlanta, Georgia