3 pounds beef cheeks, cleaned and trimmed
3 medium-sized carrots, peeled and medium diced
2 onions, peeled and medium-diced
½ bunch celery, medium diced
2 garlic cloves, peeled
Extra virgin olive oil
Salt and pepper
1 cup Chappellet Cabernet Sauvignon or other red wine
3 quarts beef stock
1 bay leaf
Arugula for garnish
1¾ cup semolina flour
3½ cups all-purpose flour
9 egg yolks
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
7 fluid ounces water
3 onions, peeled and medium-diced
¼ cup Carolina Gold rice
⅓ pound unsalted butter
½ cup heavy cream
Beef Cheek Filling
- Make the beef cheeks: To prepare beef cheeks for ravioli filling, sear them in a sautée pan over medium heat with canola oil until caramelized. Remove from pan and set aside.
- In a pot set over medium heat, roast mirepoix (chopped carrots, onion, and celery) and garlic cloves in pot with olive oil for approximately 10 minutes, or until caramelized. Season with salt and pepper. Add 1 cup of red wine and cook until liquid is reduced by half.
- Add beef stock, ½ a bay leaf, and beef cheeks to liquid. Bring to a boil, then immediately reduce to a simmer and cover (angle lid to allow stock to breathe a bit). Simmer for approximately 1½ hours, until cheeks are tender.
- Remove beef from stock, shred, and set aside in a bowl. Strain stock into another pot to remove vegetables and reduce stock by half.
- Moisten beef cheeks with stock, season with salt and pepper, and allow to come to room temperature before using as ravioli filling.
- Make the Onion Soubise: To make onion soubise, sweat onions and rice in butter over medium heat. Keep covered and stir occasionally for approximately 1 hour. Stir in cream and cover for 15 more minutes.
- Remove from heat and place mixture in blender. Purée until smooth, salt to taste, and allow to cool.
- Make the Pasta: Place flours in bowl of a standing mixer fitted with a hook attachment and turn mixer on low speed.
- Add egg yolks, one at a time. Slowly add water. Add olive oil and continue mixing on low for 4-5 minutes.
- Remove dough mixture from bowl, wrap in plastic wrap, and allow to rest in refrigerator for approximately 1 hour.
- To make ravioli, remove dough from fridge and roll sheets to setting of 3 on pasta maker.
- Create an egg wash by whisking 1 egg yolk with 2 teaspoons of water in a ramekin.
- Lay 1 sheet of pasta on top of ravioli tray. Place 1 tablespoon of beef cheek mixture in each filling place until all are full.
- Using a brush, paint all edges surrounding the ravioli with egg wash. Place another sheet of pasta on top of the ravioli sheet and seal with a rolling pin.
- Flip over ravioli pan to release and cut away excess dough surrounding each ravioli.
- Bring a pot of salted water to boil. Cook ravioli for approximately 3-4 minutes.
- Warm soubise in a sauté pan. Place soubise on each dish and top with ravioli. Add arugula to garnish.
Recipe ByChef Jeremiah Bacon of the Macintosh in Charleston