- Begin with your beets and cut the tops off, peel, and chop into 1/2 inch discs.
- Combine chopped beets with milk and cream and warm on the stove top.
- Add your sugar and heat until dissolved. (Do not boil!)
- Beat egg yolks thoroughly and add to milk, cream, and sugar.
- Heat until mixture coats the back of a spoon and you are able to draw a line through it with your finger. Or more precise use a thermometer and bring mix to 165 degrees F.
- Pour mixture through a strainer (straining out beets) into a bowl in an ice bath to cool quickly.
- Let custard cool in the refrigerator overnight.
- Spin in an ice cream machine for until soft serve and then freeze again overnight.