This deep pink ice cream isn’t the result of rich berries, but of beets! Create the beet mixture on your stovetop, freeze overnight, then transfer to the ice cream maker for a bright pink soft-serve.
2 cups milk
2 cups cream
10 egg yolks
¾ cup sugar
2 medium sized beets
- Begin with your beets and cut the tops off, peel, and chop into 1/2 inch discs.
- Combine chopped beets with milk and cream and warm on the stove top.
- Add your sugar and heat until dissolved. (Do not boil!)
- Beat egg yolks thoroughly and add to milk, cream, and sugar.
- Heat until mixture coats the back of a spoon and you are able to draw a line through it with your finger. Or more precise use a thermometer and bring mix to 165 degrees F.
- Pour mixture through a strainer (straining out beets) into a bowl in an ice bath to cool quickly.
- Let custard cool in the refrigerator overnight.
- Spin in an ice cream machine for until soft serve and then freeze again overnight.