These benne seed rolls are the perfect buttery roll to compliment any home-cooked meal. Impress your guests or treat yourself with making these fresh.
24 ounces bread flour (1½ pounds)
10 ounces sesame flour
¾ ounce yeast
¾ ounce salt
13½ ounces water, divided
4 ounces buttermilk
1½ ounces shortening
4 ounces butter
4 ounces sugar
4 ounces sourdough starter
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine both flours, yeast, salt, and sugar, and mix on speed 1. Stop mixing, and add half the water, buttermilk, and starter for approximately 30 seconds. Add all but 1 cup of the remaining water. Mix another 30 seconds. Add butter and shortening. Mix in. Check moisture of dough and add the remaining water if necessary.
- Clean up stage / speed 2 / Mix dough on speed 2 for approximately 1 minute or until the bowl is cleaned of the dough.
- Development stage / speed 3 and speed 2 / Mix dough on speed 3 for approximately 3 minutes. Then for approximately 3 minutes more on speed 2. At this point do a window stretch test to ensure gluten is fully developed. Mix longer if necessary.
- Round off dough. Mist with watera nd cover with oil sprayed plastic wrap and allow to proof on the table to 2x its original size.
- Fold dough over itself while pushing down until all air has been expelled from the dough.
- While keeping extra dough misted and covered to prevent a skin from forming portion the dough into 1.5-1.75 oz rolls by rolling it into balls.
- On oil sprayed & parchment lined pans, place rolls far enough apart that they will not touch when doubled. Mist the rolls. Place plastic wrap over top to ensure a skin will not form.
- Finished pans of rolls should be placed immediately in fridgefor 24 hour slow proofing.
- Proofing / Part 1 / 24 hours later remove rolls from fridge, leave covered and allow to come to room temperature for 45 minutes-1 hour. Then place in a warm spot until rolls are 2/3 of the way proofed in size.
- Put some benne flour in small sifter. Mist rolls with water to make them sticky. Dust rolls evenly with a noticeable amount of the Benne flour. Score each roll once down the middle about ¼ inch deep, no more.
- Proofing / Part 2 / Place in a warm area and allow to proof until doubled in size. This also allows the score to open up fully.
- Once fully proofed place rolls in a 375F oven. Bake approximately 6 minutes until front sides brown. Spin the pans and bake an additional 4-6 minutes until evenly browned, but not burnt. Serve with honey butter.
- from Chef Marc Collins of Circa 1886 in Charleston, SC