- Make an egg wash by whisking milk and eggs together until combined. Set aside.
- Sauté garlic and shallots over medium heat in canola oil until soft.
- In a food processor, pulse half of the black-eyed peas until roughly chopped and place in a large mixing bowl.
- Purée remaining peas with ½ cup olive oil and add to bowl. Mix in lemon juice, zest, cumin, coriander, scallion, ½ of the shallot/garlic mixture, and ½ cup bread crumbs.
- Portion out into 2-ounce balls and form into cakes. Dredge cakes in flour, then egg wash, and then remaining bread crumbs. Keep cold.
- For salad, heat a large skillet over medium heat and add a little oil. Sauté mushrooms until browned, then add tomatoes, sherry vinegar, brown sugar, and remaining shallot/garlic mixture and cook for about 10 minutes. Pour into a mixing bowl and whisk in olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Toss kale with dressing, reseason with salt and pepper, and set aside while you cook the cakes.
- Heat canola oil in a deep skillet and fry pea cakes at 350 degrees until brown
and hot. Serve over dressed kale salad and top with shaved Parmesan.