- Mix honey and water in small saucepan. Reduce over low heat, stirring constantly until mixture has returned to a honey consistency and is just beginning to crystallize.
- Pour into a different container to stop cooking and allow to cool to room temperature.
Ice Cream Base
- Whip yolks with sugar until they have tripled in volume.
- Heat cream on stove until just boiling. Temper yolks with a bit of hot cream, slowly incorporating the two until smooth. Do not do this too fast or you will have sweet scrambled eggs!
- Add vanilla and salt. Chill mixture.
- Add chilled mixture to ice cream freezer and chill until about ¾ of the way frozen.
- During last minutes of chilling, slowly drip in honey mixture, creating ribbons of honey in final product.
- from Chef Brendan Orr, Rooftop Café, Key West, Florida