Food Culture of the South
Makes 2 quarts
2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups milk
2 cups half-and-half
2 cups heavy whipping cream
2½ cups spiced rum
½ cup bourbon
- Separate egg whites and yolks into two clean mixing bowls, being careful not to allow any yolks into the whites. (Otherwise they won’t mix correctly.)
- Whip the yolks until light, then add sugar and salt and whip until thick and white.
- Whip the whites until they form soft peaks.
- Fold whites into yolk mixture.
- Add milk, half-and-half, whipping cream, rum, and bourbon and stir until combined.
- Serve at once or pour into a mason jar, seal, and refrigerate.
- From Cochon Butcher, New Orleans, Louisiana