6 each duck legs
3 tablespoons molasses
3 tablespoons reduced chicken stock
3 tablespoons bourbon
1 sprig thyme
3 sweet potatoes
Salt and pepper
Cooking oil to coat
½ head Savoy cabbage, julienned
½ stick butter
Salt and pepper to taste
½ cup chicken stock
½ cup white wine
- Season duck legs with salt and pepper. In a medium hot skillet, sear the skin side of the duck legs until mahogany in color. Turn over, and roast in a 350f oven for 20 minutes, or until juices run clear when pricked. Reserve.
- In a small sauce pot, combine molasses, chicken stock and bourbon. Flame off the bourbon and reduce wit thyme sprig until the sauce lightly coats the back of a spoon.
- Peel and dice sweet potatoes, then toss in a bowl with oil to coat, salt and pepper. Place a lined cookie sheet and roast for 24 minutes, or until soft and lightly browned.
- In a medium sauce pot combine cabbage, butter, stock and white wine. Season with salt and pepper and cook on low, covered, for 40 minutes, or until cabbage is very soft and translucent.
- Sweet potatoes and cabbage may be served family style, or layered in individual ring molds for a more formal presentation. Flash the duck legs in the oven, spoon sauce over them and serve.
- from Forrest Parker of Old Village Post House in Charleston, South Carolina