3 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon chinese five-spice powder
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon kosher salt
2 cups raw or blanched unsalted shelled peanuts
6 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon sesame oil
1 tablespoon soy sauce
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon chili powder
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon red pepper flakes
3 bunches broccolini, cut into 2-inch pieces and blanched until crisp-tender in heavily salted water, then cooled
2 cucumbers, deseeded (peeled if thick-skinned) and cut into irregular batons
1 pinch kosher salt
1 bunch fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
2 teaspoons toasted sesame seeds
For the peanuts
For garlic sauce
For the salad
Make the peanuts:
- Melt butter over medium-high heat until bubbly, then add spice powder, sugar, and salt, stirring to dissolve.
- Add nuts and continue cooking and stirring until they have turned light brown, then spoon onto a large baking sheet and allow to cool.
Make the garlic sauce:
- Stir together all ingredients until well-combined. Set aside.
Make the salad:
- Arrange cucumber on a platter.
- Toss enough garlic sauce with broccolini to coat well, then spoon over cucumber.
- Garnish with peanuts, cilantro, and sesame seeds.
Recipe ByChef Kevin Roberts of the Black Sheep in Richmond