Photo by: James Smith
⅓ cups chow chow
¾ cups apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons Sriracha chili sauce
¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
2 teaspoons salt
25 oysters, shucked
1 quart buttermilk (whole fat preferred)
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons onion powder
1 teaspoon fine sea salt
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
Chow Chow Vinegar|
- For chow chow vinegar, combine all ingredients and mix well. Allow to sit for a day.
- Set a deep fat fryer to 350 degrees. Marinate shucked oysters in buttermilk for up to an hour.
- Mix flour, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, and peppers for breading. Double bread (take oysters from buttermilk to flour mixture and back again) and gently lower into fryer. Note: Do not bread ahead of time as flour and oysters will get gummy and stick together.
- Cook in fryer for approximately 45 seconds−1 minute and serve immediately.
- From chef Aaron Deal of the River and Rail in Roanoke, Virginia