- Whisk lemon juice into beaten egg yolks until pale and fluffy, and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine buttermilk, heavy cream, sugar, citrus zest, salt, vanilla, and butter flavor extract, and stir until the sugar is dissolved.
- Continue to heat, stirring regularly, until mixture almost reaches a boil.
- Remove from heat, and vigorously whisk 1 cup of cream mixture into egg mixture to temper.
- Return pan to heat, and slowly pour the egg mixture into cream mixture, again whisking vigorously.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium low, and cook, stirring constantly and making sure to scrape the bottom and sides of pan until mixture thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Strain the mixture into a bowl, press plastic wrap down onto surface to prevent a skin from forming, and refrigerate overnight.
- Whisk chilled mixture to combine, transfer to ice cream freezer, and freeze according to manufacturer’s directions.
MAKE THE WHOLE SUNDAY SUPPER /// Pork Jowl, Arugula, and Mozzarella Pizza / Buttermilk Ice Cream