3 cups Niedlov’s Breadworks sourdough loaf, crusts removed, diced large (or sourdough bread of choice)
½ cup butternut squash, diced large
½ cup pineapple, diced large
1½ cups brown sugar
5 large eggs, beaten
2 cups half-and-half
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place diced bread on baking sheet and bake until lightly toasted. Set aside.
- Heat two separate sauté pans over medium-high heat. Add approximately 1 tablespoon canola oil to each. Cook butternut squash and pineapple separately in pans until softened. Set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, mix sugar, eggs, half-and-half, cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla until thick and creamy. Add bread, pineapple, and butternut squash. Let mixture stand for 10–15 minutes.
- Place mixture in a greased 9×13-inch baking dish (or individual ramekins) and bake 35–40 minutes, or until firmly set. Serve with caramel sauce and vanilla ice cream.
- from Chef Daniel Lindley of Alleia, Chattanooga, TN