- Sauté minced shallots and minced garlic in butter. Once aromatic add squash cubes. Cook until soft. Reserve.
- In a separate pan, heat oil and sauté mushrooms. When golden brown, add chopped shallots, garlic, and thyme. Cook until fragrant.
- Add squash cubes and cavatelli to the pan with the mushrooms. When heated through, add syrup, cheese, lemon juice, and stock. Salt to taste and finish with Brussels leaves.
- Cut squash in half, remove seeds, and roast cut side down in a 300-degree oven for 10–15 minutes. Skin should be soft and flesh tender.
- Scoop out squash flesh and purée with vinegar. Return to sheet pan and dry in oven for 5 minutes, watching that edges don’t brown.
- Place dried purée in a mixing bowl and add flour and baking powder. Mix until a dough ball forms. Dough should give to the touch but not be too sticky. If sticky, slowly add flour to desired texture. Let rest for 15 minutes, then roll out. Make cavatelli shape using pasta maker.
- Blanch pasta in boiling water for 2 minutes. Cool and oil pasta to prevent sticking.
*For blanched Brussels sprout leaves, bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Strip leaves from sprouts. Blanch leaves in water for 20 seconds, until bright green, then shock in ice water. Dry and reserve.