4 grams cocoa powder
4 grams Chinese five spice
50 grams sugar in the raw
⅛ teaspoon chile flakes
75 grams dried black currants
100 grams diced dried apricot
125 grams dried golden raisins
175 grams butter
50 grams olive oil
50 grams capers
100 grams diced red onion
125 grams diced piquillo peppers or roasted red bell peppers
600 grams diced eggplant
250 grams peeled and diced celery
100 grams of chopped olives
250 grams tomato sauce
30 grams red wine vinegar
20 grams balsamic vinegar
Spice mix (from above)
Fruit (from above)
100 grams toasted pine nuts
For Spice Mix
For the Spice Mix
- Mix all ingredients together and set aside.
For the Fruit
- Bring 500 grams water to a boil.
- Pour it over the fruit; let it bloom (sit) for one hour.
- Drain the water, reserving the fruit.
For the Ragout
- In large pan, melt butter and olive oil over medium-low heat.
- Add capers, onions, and peppers and sweat them until tender.
- Add eggplant, celery, and olives; continue to sweat. Add spices and fruit.
- Add tomato sauce and red wine and balsamic vinegars. Continue to stew everything on low heat for about 45 minutes until tender.
- Add toasted pine nuts and your favorite fresh chopped herbs as you wish.
- Season to taste with salt. Serve hot or cold.
*Please note: In my cooking, I use grams, because weight is always a more precise and consistent measurement than volume. I highly recommend using a home scale. It’s worth the investment.
- from Nate Whiting of Tristan in Charleston, SC