2-10 inch shallow tarts
½ cup water
1¼ cups sugar
3 tablespoons corn syrup
1¼ teaspoons salt
1 cup heavy cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
1⅓ cups white chocolate, chopped
2 10-inch shallow tart shells, homemade or store bought
½ cup each: whole roasted almonds, walnuts, pecans, cashews, Fleur de sel (optional)
- Cook water, sugar, corn syrup, and salt to light-medium caramel color, then remove from heat and carefully whisk in the heavy cream and vanilla to stop the cooking process.
- Allow mixture to cool approximately 10 minutes before adding the butter and chocolate. Stir until incorporated.
- Mix ½ cup of each toasted nut into a bowl and evenly coat them with the caramel chocolate mixture. Portion filling into tart shells (smoothing out to the edges if needed), then top with some of the mixed nuts and lightly sprinkle with fleur de sel if desired.
- Allow the filled tarts to set for 20 minutes at room temperature before serving.
- from Executive Pastry Chef Sarah Koob of Canoe in Atlanta, Georgia