2 heads cauliflower, cut into small florets (discard stalk parts of cauliflower)
6 ribs celery cut diagonally
2 shallots thinly sliced
2 carrots julienned
1 large red bell pepper finely diced
3 tablespoons kosher salt divided
16 ounces cider vinegar
16 ounces water
1 tablespoon mustard powder
1 teaspoon turmeric
½ cup brown sugar
½ teaspoon cloves
6 bay leaves
2 tablespoons fresh ginger grated
2 teaspoons allspice
¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Combine vegetables and 2 tablespoons of salt in a large mixing bowl and mix well.
- Transfer into a colander and place over bowl to drain for at least 8 hours or overnight.
- Sanitize jars.
- Bring remaining ingredients to a simmer (including remaining salt), then cook for 5 minutes.
- While vinegar solution cools slightly, fill jars with vegetable mixture.
- Pour vinegar solution over vegetables, cover with lids, and refrigerate. The chow-chow will be ready to eat in 3 days and keeps refrigerated for 2–3 months.
- from Chef Josh Quick of Odette, Florence, Alabama