4 medium bull’s blood beets
3–4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 grapefruit, zest and juice
Maldon sea salt or fleur de sel
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Scrub the beets to remove dirt.
- Drizzle beets with olive oil. Sprinkle with kosher salt.
- Wrap beets in aluminum foil and roast in the oven until the beets are tender or when you can stick a skewer all the way through without much resistance. Cooking times vary depending on the size, 45–90 minutes. Remove beets from the oven and let cool. Cut off any rough areas or tough stems. Do not remove skin.
- Heat a cast iron skillet to medium-high heat. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Place beets in skillet and weigh down with another heavy skillet or a brick wrapped in foil. Cook until charred. Flip and repeat.
- Remove beets from skillet. Drizzle charred beets with the remaining olive oil, grapefruit zest and juice, sprinkle with Maldon sea salt, and serve.
- from Annie Pettry of Decca in Louisville, KY