1 tablespoon dry yeast
5 tablespoons warm water
¼ cup light brown sugar, packed
5 cups bread flour
1 tablespoon sea salt
14 ounces buttermilk, divided
1 stick butter, softened
Cornmeal (for dusting)
- Dissolve yeast in water.
- Combine brown sugar, flour, and salt in a mixing bowl fitted with a dough hook.
- On low speed, combine yeast-water mixture. Next, slowly add and combine 10 ounces of buttermilk, then eggs, finishing with butter.
- Knead on medium-low speed for 5 minutes.
- Proof at room temperature, allowing the dough to double in size.
- Portion into 3½-ounce balls and allow to rest for 20 minutes.
- Flatten to ½ inch and place onto sheet tray that has been dusted with cornmeal.
- Proof for an additional 2 hours.
- Brush the tops of the buns with remaining 4 ounces of buttermilk and bake at 350 degrees for 7 minutes. Rotate the baking tray 180 degrees and bake for another 7 minutes or until golden brown.
- from Chef Craig Deihl of Charleston, SC