½ cup vegetable oil
4 bone-in chicken thighs
4 bone-in rabbit legs
1-pound piece of boneless pork shoulder, cut into 1-inch cubes
½ teaspoon salt
1 cup flour
½ pound slab bacon, minced
1 cup vidalia onion, minced
1 cup celery, minced
½ pound andouille sausage, sliced
3 cups chicken stock, preferably homemade
1 cup fingerling potatoes, cut into ¼-inch discs
2 cups freshly cut corn kernels, preferably white
3 large tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and cut into ¼-inch dice
1 tablespoon tomato paste
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon unpacked light brown sugar
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
¼ teaspoon cayenne
1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 tablespoon fresh flat-leaf parsley, minced
1 teaspoon fresh thyme, minced
1 teaspoon fresh rosemary, minced
1 teaspoon fresh oregano, minced
Hot pepper vinegar
Cooked rice for serving
- Add oil to a large pot and place over medium-high heat.
- Season chicken, rabbit, and pork with salt and then dredge in flour. Shake off excess flour and add meats to hot oil. Saute for 3 minutes. Turn and saute on the other side for 3 minutes. Remove all meats from pan and discard hot oil.
- Place bacon in same pot and return to medium-high heat. Cook for 5 minutes. Add onion, celery, and sausage and cook for 5 minutes.
- Return all meats to pot and add 1 cup chicken stock. Cook down by half, then add remaining stock. Cover and reduce heat to simmer.
- Cook for 30 minutes and then remove meats from pot, leaving liquid. Add potatoes, corn, and tomatoes to pot. Cook for 10 minutes. Then add tomato paste, garlic, brown sugar, Worcestershire, cayenne, and lemon juice. Cook for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, pull meat from chicken and rabbit bones and discard bones. Return chicken meat, rabbit meat, and pork cubes to pot and cook for 15 more minutes over medium heat.
- Finish by adding parsley, thyme, rosemary, and oregano. Serve with hot pepper vinegar over rice.