For the Toffee Sauce
- Combine all sorghum toffee ingredients and simmer until reduced by half. Strain and reserve.
For the Cake
- Preheat the oven to 375. Butter and flour eight 4-ounce ramekins.
- Combine the dates and water and bring to a simmer. Turn off the heat and let stand for 5 minutes. Stir in the baking soda and puree with an immersion blender or food processor. Reserve.
- Sift together the flour, salt, and baking powder.
- Cream butter and muscovado and then add sorghum. While beating, add the eggs one at a time, making sure each is incorporated before adding the next.
- Add in the flour mixture until incorporated. Then fold in the date mixture on a low speed until incorporated.
- Place the ramekins on a baking sheet and fill them ¾ of the way to the top with the batter. Place the sheet pan in the oven and bake for approximately 30−45 minutes. The cakes are done when they spring back to the touch and a toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the center.
- Flip the cakes over onto the sheet pan and cover each with a spoonful of toffee sauce. Place neatly on a plate and serve alongside ice cream or whipped cream.