2 cups milk, divided
1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
½ cup cocoa powder
6 tablespoons powdered sugar
¼ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
1 ½ ounce butter, melted (3 tablespoons)
2 cups whole milk
1 quart heavy cream
1 vanilla bean
4 egg yolks
¼ teaspoon salt
1⅓ cup sugar
Candy or instant read thermometer
1 cup dry red wine, such as pinot noir
¼ cup sugar
1 cinnamon stick
1 star anise
3 ounces dark chocolate, chopped
4 ounces butter (8 tablespoons)
½ cup brown sugar (dark or light)
Pinch of salt
1 pound frozen cherries
Vanilla Bean Ice Cream
Chocolate Cherry Sauce
For the Crêpes
- Put eggs and 1 cup of milk in a blender. Add the dry ingredients and blend.
- Gradually add the remaining milk and vanilla extract. Finally add the melted butter. Blend until smooth. Strain if necessary. Let rest overnight or for several hours.
- Cook crêpes in an 8-inch crêpe pan over medium heat. Use approximately ⅛ cup of batter for each crêpe.
(Note: Crêpes freeze beautifully in a Ziploc bag and can be made up to thirty days ahead.)
For Vanilla Bean Ice Cream
- Bring milk, cream, and vanilla bean (split and scraped) to a simmer in a saucepan, stirring constantly.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl whisk together eggs, egg yolks, salt, and sugar. Slowly whisk the cream into the egg mixture. Return the mixture to the pot and over low heat stir until the mixture begins to thicken slightly and reaches 170 degrees.
- Strain and cool in an ice bath with clear plastic wrap covering the top so it doesn’t create a film. Churn in an ice cream maker according to directions.
For Chocolate Cherry Sauce
- Simmer red wine, sugar, cinnamon stick, and star anise for 10 minutes until mixture is reduced by half. Strain.
- Pour over chopped dark chocolate and whisk until smooth. Set aside.
- Melt butter in a sauté pan. Add brown sugar and salt and melt the sugar. Add the cherries and cook until cherries are warmed through, approximately 3 minutes.
- Add brandy (carefully) and cook for 1 more minute. Add chocolate red wine mixture and incorporate. Serve immediately or set aside and warm before spooning over the crêpes.
- Cook 2 crêpes per person (or use crêpes you’ve already made). Fill each crêpe with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and fold into quarters. Place crêpes in freezer until ready to serve (this can be done a day ahead).
- Spoon hot chocolate cherry sauce over the crêpes and serve.
- from Chef Emily Cookson of Charleston Grill in Charleston, SC