To illustrate the lengths fans will go to get their hands on one of Lisa Donavan’s Buttermilk Road creations, the lucky July Fourth pie lovers whose orders made the cut were emailed a top-secret pick up location.
Yield: 2 10-inch pies
8 ounces butter
4 ounces Olive & Sinclair chocolate, finely chopped
½ vanilla bean, seeds
6 cups sugar
⅔ cups flour
2 teaspoons salt
3 tablespoons cocoa powder
3 cups buttermilk
2 prepared, unbaked and frozen pie shells
- Preheat oven to 425 degress.
- Place butter, chocolate and vanilla bean seeds in double boiler over low heat. Stir until chocolate is completely melted.
- In medium bowl, whisk together dry ingredients, using sugar as sifter for flour and cocoa powder, breaking up all lumps.
- Whisk eggs and buttermilk together in separate bowl.
- Combine wet and dry ingredients and whisk until incorporated.
- Slowly whisk chocolate mixture into batter until incorporated.
- Pour batter into frozen pie shell. Place in oven bake for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, reduce oven to 375 degrees. Bake until set, about 40minutes.
- from Lisa Donovan of Buttermilk Road in Nashville, Tennessee