Not to be confused with the traditional Parisian macaron, this easy coconut confection is a must-have edible present in your next holiday gift basket.
30 bite-sized cookies
3 cups unsweetened shredded dried coconut
¾ cup granulated sugar
2 large egg whites
1 teaspoon coconut extract
⅛ teaspoon salt
- Mix all ingredients in electric mixer with paddle attachment. Refrigerate in mixing bowl (covered) at least 1−2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Scoop small balls of dough onto nonstick cookie sheet; space 1−2 inches apart.
- Bake for 8−10 minutes, until light brown on outside.
Note: The macaroon dough can be done a couple days in advance of baking, kept in the fridge.
- from Chef Wimberley Miree of Ollie Irene in Birmingham, Alabama