2 pounds collard greens (about 10 cups chopped)
¼ pound bacon, diced
1 cup onion, diced
½ cup celery, diced
2 quarts chicken stock
2 cups potatoes
1 ham bone
1 cup whipping or heavy cream
- Wash the collards in a large sink filled with water. Remove the large ribs from the leaves and finely chop.
- Sauté the bacon in a large stockpot over medium heat until crisp.
- Add the onion, celery, and collard greens and cook over low heat for 8 to 10 minutes or until the onions are translucent.
- Add the stock, potatoes, and ham bone and gently simmer for 40 minutes or until the potatoes and collards are tender.
- Remove the ham bone and cut off the meat. Finely dice the ham and return to the pot (may be made ahead to this point).
- Add the heavy cream and gently warm. Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve immediately.
- from Beth Price, Charleston, SC