1 pound butter, melted, 2 heaping cups sugar, 8 eggs, 1 quart buttermilk, 1 cup creamed corn, 4 cups flour, 4 cups cornmeal, 1 tablespoon salt, 2 teaspoons baking soda|1 cup room temperature butter, ½ cup chopped bacon, rendered, 1 tablespoon reserved bacon fat, 2 tablespoons maple syrup
Corn Cake|Maple Bacon Butter
For the corn cake:
1. Heat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Combine all ingredients into a large container and mix until combined.
3. Divide mixture into single serving greased iron skillets, about 1 cup each. Alternately, you can bake this in a 10-inch springform pan or a muffin tin.
4. Bake for 18 minutes, or until golden and springy to touch.
For the maple bacon butter:
Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and whisk to combine. Reserve in pint container.
- From Evan LeRoy of Freedman's Bar, Austin, Texas