- Render sliced corn beef in sauté pan over medium heat to warm through until slightly crispy.
- Toast bread to golden brown, then turn toaster or oven setting to broil. Slather toast with mustard and add cheese. Place under broiler a few seconds, until cheese melts.
- Over melted cheese, pile sauerkraut, beef, and egg. Garnish as you like with chives, espelette powder, drizzle of oil, and fleur de sel.
- Preheat oven to 225 degrees.
- In large sauté pan, sweat onion, carrot and celery in oil until softened. Add garlic and cook until raw garlic smell goes away.
- Pour mirepoix into roasting pan, add thyme, rosemary, and beef. Add beer. Roast in oven for 7-9 hours, basting and turning at regular intervals.
“For our corned beef, there is just enough liquid in a can of Budweiser to give the fat from the beef something to emulsify into. We are essentially cooking this meat confit style, but we call it braising.”