4 thin slices country ham (about 1½ ounces each) (Chef Bundy recommends Kite’s Hams)
2 Albemarle Pippin apples, cut into thin wedges, coated in a bit of lemon juice
4 heads frisee lettuce, cleaned, large white stems removed
2 tablespoons freshly chopped chives
Extra virgin olive oil to taste (Chef Bundy recommends Georgia Olive Farms)
High-quality vinegar to taste (Chef Bundy recommends Jean Marc Montegottero lemon vinegar)
Salt and pepper to taste
Maple vinaigrette (recipe below)
2 ounces peanuts (Chef Bundy recommends Hubs Extra Fancy)
1 medium shallot, roughly chopped
1 clove garlic, roughly chopped
1 tablespoon butter
½ cup chicken stock
1 sprig thyme
¼ cup veal demi-glace (you can make your own or find at specialty food stores like Williams-Sonoma or on Amazon)
½ cup maple syrup (Chef Bundy recommends Highland County)
½ cup sherry vinegar
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
2 cups grapeseed oil
Salt and white pepper to taste
- Lay out 4 plates. Place a slice of ham on each.
- In a mixing bowl toss the apples, lettuce, and chives together with extra virgin olive oil and vinegar. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place the mixture on top of the ham. Drizzle some maple vinaigrette around the salad. Sprinkle peanuts on top to finish.
- Sweat the shallots and garlic in butter. Add chicken stock, thyme, veal demi-glace, and maple syrup. Reduce by half. Cool. Reserve.
- To make the vinaigrette, place reserved product in blender. Blend slowly. Add the sherry vinegar and mustard. Slowly drizzle in the oil. Adjust consistency with water if necessary. Season to taste with salt and white pepper.
- from Chef Walter Bundy of Lemaire, Richmond, VA