Creamy Kale Toast blends the heartiness of sautéed kale with the creaminess of a béchamel sauce making it ideal for a light lunch, afternoon snack, or even dinner with a glass of wine.
Olive oil, as needed
5 pounds kale, ribs removed, chopped small and uniform
3 garlic cloves, sliced
2 shallots, sliced
1 quart cold cream
2 quarts béchamel sauce (recipe follows)
1 thick slice whole-wheat bread
1 quart shaved parmesan, plus more for garnish
Nutmeg, as needed
⅓ pound butter
1½ cups all-purpose flour
2 quarts whole milk
- Add olive oil to sauté pan set over medium heat. Add kale, garlic, and shallot, and sauté for about eight minutes, until raw garlic smell goes away. Remove from heat.
- Place half prepared kale mixture in blender with cream and purée.
- Fold remaining kale mixture and béchamel into puréed creamy kale. Mix until combined.
- Toast bread to golden brown. Pile on as much creamy kale mixture as toast can handle. You’ll have plenty of extra for future servings. Store covered in fridge for up to 3 days.
- Garnish with parmesan and a sprinkle of nutmeg.
- Melt butter in stockpot set over low heat. When just melted, add flour in increments, whisking constantly and only adding more once all lumps have disappeared.
- When all flour is added, pour in milk in steady stream, whisking constantly. Continue whisking until slightly dark in color and liquid is reduced to gravy-like consistency. Note: Making béchamel can take a while. Be patient!
- From Chef Blair Machado of The Park Cafe in Charleston, South Carolina