For the Mashed Potatoes
- Wash potatoes thoroughly and place on a sheet tray. Bake in oven at 350 degrees for 40-45 minutes or just until tender all the way through.
- Add butter and milk to sauce pan over low heat. Stir regularly and heat just to warm milk and melt butter. Keep mixture warm.
- Place cooked potatoes with skins on in the bowl of an electric mixer. Mix on medium speed to break up potatoes.
- Gradually add milk mixture while continuing to combine.
- Add salt and continue to combine just until potatoes are creamy and well blended.
For the Giblet Gravy
- Place livers in a saucepan, cover with water and simmer until cooked.
- Drain liver and chop (do not puree).
- Melt butter in a saucepot over high heat. Add onions, celery and peppers and sauté until browned (about 8 minutes).
- Reduce heat to medium and add garlic, spices and flour.
- Continuously stir while cooking until golden brown color is achieved.
- Add stock, bring to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Stir in chopped livers and simmer until nappé; about ten minutes.
Yield: 1 quart
For the Creole Spice Blend
Add all ingredients to a large bowl and combine with a whisk until spices are evenly distributed. Store in an air tight container with lid.
Yield: ¾ cup