32 cipollini onions, peeled
6 tablespoons butter, divided
2 ounces sherry vinegar
4 ounces sorghum
2 sprigs thyme
1 ½ cups roasted duck just
24 Mission figs
1 tablespoon sugar
8 duck breasts
2 cups cooked farro
2 tablespoons chicken stock
1 cup sautéed baby turnip greens
2 tablespoons minced chives
- In an ovenproof saucepot, lightly brown the cipollini onions in 1 tablespoon of butter over medium heat. Add the sherry vinegar, thyme, duck jus, sorghum and 1 tablespoon of butter. Place the pot in the oven at 350 degrees and cook until tender (approximately 30 minutes). If necessary, once the onions are cooked, put the pot back on the stove to reduce the liquid to sauce consistency.
- Split the figs in half. Sprinkle the cut side with 1 tablespoon sugar and roast lightly in an oven at 250 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Cook duck breasts to desired doneness (medium rare recommended).
- Warm farro in chicken stock, add 4 tablespoons butter and turnip greens, and reduce liquid until the farro is creamy.
- Spoon farro mixture onto one side of the bowl. Arrange onions and figs next to the farro. Slice the duck and arrange it on top of the farro. Pour sauce from the onions over the duck and farro. Top with chives.
- from Chef Eric Ziebold of Sou’Wester in Washington, DC