2 pounds cucumbers unpeeled
2 tablespoons salt
2 tablespoons Korean chili pepper flakes
1½ teaspoons sugar
4 chives, cut into thin diagonal strips
2 tablespoons thinly sliced onion
- Cut cucumbers in half, then into diagonal slices.
- Place in a bowl and combine with salt. Let sit for 5–7 minutes, until cucumbers leech some liquid. They will be soft but still slightly crunchy. Rinse cucumbers and pat dry.
- Combine cucumbers with pepper flakes and sugar. Let sit for 10 minutes to allow flavors to combine.
- Add chives and onions. Toss to combine. Eat immediately or refrigerate and eat within 3 days.
- from Chef Chris Shepherd of Underbelly, Houston, Texas