½ cup salt
½ cup sugar
1 small lamb loin large piece of fresh turmeric, peeled
1 large beet, cleaned and shaved
3 radishes, cleaned and shaved
Chickweed and begonia flowers to garnish
- Combine salt and sugar in small bowl. Stir until well mixed.
- Rub loin with the salt and sugar mixture until completely coated, and then place in shallow dish.
- Place in refrigerator and allow to cure for 1 day.
- On day 2, rinse lamb and let dry.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Roast lamb for 5 minutes until the outside has color but internal temperature is rare.
- Let cool. Thinly slice carpaccio-style.
- Slice off small piece of the turmeric root. Shave and set aside.
- In medium pot, boil remainder of turmeric root in salted water until tender.
- Place in blender, and blend boiled turmeric until smooth. Refrigerate until chilled.
- To serve, arrange shaved lamb carpaccio-style on large plate. Place the shaved beets, radishes and fresh turmeric over the cured lamb. Add a few dots of turmeric puree around the plated lamb. Finish with chickweed and begonia flowers.
- from Chef Justin Burdett of Local Provisions in Asheville, North Carolina