5 pounds small pickling cucumbers (3-4 inches in length)
5 whole cayenne peppers
5 bunches dill, the flower head gone to seed
2 ½ teaspoons dried dill seed (optional)
1 ½ quarts water
½ cups kosher salt
- Sterilize jars.
- Pack each jar tightly with whole or sliced cucumbers, one cayenne pepper, one bunch dill, and ½ teaspoon dried dill seed.
- Boil water and salt and pour hot liquid into pack jars so cucumbers are covered completely. You might need to wait a minute for the liquid to bubble down and all the air to escape.
- Top with rings and lids and immediately tighten. After a few minutes, check to see if you can tighten lids a bit more.
- Let cool and wait for the pop of the lids sealing. Store in cool, dark place for approximately 3 months or until the pickles change color.
- From Davis Nunnery of Hollandale, Mississippi