2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
¼ cup quality vinaigrette dressing
1½ teaspoons kosher salt
½ cup smooth Dijon mustard
½ cup skim or low-fat buttermilk
1 gallon peanut or corn oil
½ pound white rice flour
10 6-inch corn tortillas (housemade or Milagro brand)
½ head red cabbage, shredded
1 bunch cilantro
2 limes, cut into 8 wedges
- Add chicken to a large zipper-lock bag, mix vinaigrette and salt and pour over chicken.
- Marinate in the refrigerator for a minimum of 8 hours and up to 3 days.
- After 8 hours, add dijon and buttermilk to bag and continue marinating for an additional 12 hours.
- Preheat oil in a large Dutch oven or similar vessel to 350 degrees.
- Shake off excess marinade and dredge heavily (or shake together in large brown bag) in flour.
- Fry floured chicken in dutch oven until pieces float to the surface—about 6 minutes. Place on tray lined with paper towels to drain.
- To assemble taco, warm tortillas then divide chicken pieces evenly on each. Garnish cabbage, cilantro and lime, as well as a good hot sauce.
Editor’s Note: For something different, Chef Dickerson recommends that you try mixing your hot sauce with local honey.
- from Chef Chris Dickerson of Corner Taco, Jacksonville, FL