Serves 12 to 18
1 cup warm water, 1 package (2 ½ teaspoons) active dry yeast, ¼ cup sugar, 1 teaspoon salt, 3 tablespoons softened butter, 1 egg, beaten, 3 ½ to 4 cups all-purpose flour (prefer to use King Arthur Organic Flour)|*Sourdough Option – add 1 cup classic sourdough starter in place of the water, reduce flour to 2 ½ to 3 cups, or until you have a soft dough as above, and proceed with recipe.
- Put water and yeast in large mixing bowl and add next 4 ingredients. Beat with dough hook until well blended.
- Add 3 ½ to 4 cups flour and mix until soft dough forms (should not be sticky).
- Put the dough out onto floured board and knead a few times until smooth.
- Place the dough in greased bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let rise in warm place approx. 45 minutes.
- Punch down and turn out onto floured board. Divide dough into 12 large or 18-20 small pieces and using your hands shape dough into round balls.
- Place in greased 13 x 9-inch baking pan. Let rise again about 30 minutes.
- Bake 350 for 20 minutes. Brush tops of rolls with butter. Recipe is easily doubled.
- Part of the #tlprecipeshare series. Recipe from Mary Marshall, Cooking with Mary and Friends, Wedgefield, South Carolina.