8 eggs, local if available
½ cup mayonnaise
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
2 tablespoons red onion, diced small
4 cornichons, diced small
2 teaspoons cornichon juice
3 cups pea tendrils (can substitute arugula greens)
1 cup radish sprouts (can substitute alfalfa sprouts)
Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
1 cup black forbidden rice
1 6×6-inch cheesecloth
1 cup water
2 cups olive juice
1 ½ cups sugar
¼ cup tapioca pearls
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups soda water
12 caper berries
A little over ½ cup cornmeal
A little over ½ cup all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon baking soda
1 ¼ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon curry
5 tablespoons melted butter
¼ cup granulated sugar
2 eggs, at room temperature
A little over ½ cup buttermilk
Tempura-Fried Caper Berries
Kicked-Up Southern Cornbread
For Egg Salad
- Place the eggs in a small pot and cover with cold water. Place pot on burner and bring to a boil. When eggs reach a boil, turn off heat and cover for 15 minutes.
- Take the eggs out of pot, run cold water over eggs, and peel.
- After peeling, rough chop eggs and place in a mixing bowl.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to the mixing bowl with eggs, mix with a spoon, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
For Olive Caviar
- Place black forbidden rice inside cheesecloth and tie it so no rice will spill out.
- Place the water, olive juice, sugar, and cheesecloth in a small pot over low heat for 10−12 minutes or until water mixture is black.
- Remove the cheesecloth, add the tapioca, and cook on low heat for 20−30 minutes or until pearls are soft. Remove from heat and allow to cool before serving.
- For Tempura-Fried Caper Berries
- Place flour, baking soda, cornstarch, and salt in a medium mixing bowl. Slowly whisk in the soda water.
- Dip the caper berries in the tempura batter and fry in a FryDaddy or other deep fryer at 350 degrees for 90 seconds. Cool on paper towel and serve.
For Kicked-Up Southern Cornbread
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease 5 mini bundt pans or muffin pans with butter or pan spray.
- Mix all dry ingredients together in medium mixing bowl. Set aside
- Stir together the melted butter and sugar. Add the eggs, one at a time.
- Stir in ¼ cup of buttermilk, then ½ of the amount of the dry mixture.
- Mix in remaining buttermilk, then the rest of the dry mixture.
- Divide the cornbread in the pans and bake for about 15 minutes (or until golden brown and a toothpick in the center of each cake comes out clean).
- from Executive Chef Todd Mazurek, Caviar & Bananas, Charleston, South Carolina