Makes about 3 dozen cookies (depends on size of cutters)
⅓ cup unsalted butter
1 cup brown sugar
1½ cups molasses
⅔ cup water
7 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ginger
1 teaspoon cloves
¼ teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Cream together butter, sugar and molasses.
- Add water to butter mixture and mix until combined.
- Sift together flour, baking soda and spices and then add to butter mixture in three additions, mixing between additions.
- Divide dough into two pieces. Flatten pieces into discs and wrap in plastic wrap. Chill for 30 minutes or until firm.
- On a floured surface, roll dough to ¼ inch thickness and then use cookie cutters to cut to desired shapes.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes.
- from Chef Emily Cookson, Charleston, SC