- Prep all étouffée ingredients before making roux.
- To make roux, gently warm butter over medium-low heat until melted. Add flour and whisk together. Whisk continually while cooking until it turns dark brown in color.
- Once roux is made, add onion, garlic, bell pepper, and celery to hot roux. Cook, stirring often, until veggies are slightly wilted and transparent.
- Stir in tomato paste, cayenne pepper, and black pepper. Stir in Andouille sausage.
- Add clam juice, a little at a time, until all is incorporated. Reduce heat and simmer for 30−45 minutes. Stir in green onions, remove from heat, and adjust seasoning as needed. Serve over rice.
*Sausage can be substituted with shrimp, chicken, crawfish, etc.