2 pounds assorted beets
½ cup red wine vinegar
2 tablespoons salt
2 tablespoons coconut oil
1 tablespoon mustard seeds
10 curry leaves
2 teaspoons asafoetida (available at specialty markets)
¼ cup coconut, grated
2 cups yogurt
Salt to taste
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
Sea salt to taste
Black pepper to taste
5–7 Serrano chili peppers, sliced
Pinch toasted cumin
- In a large pot, cook beets in water with vinegar and salt until cooked through. If using various types, cook different colors separately, as red beets will stain all other beets.
- Drain water and immediately transfer beets to a mixing bowl. Wrap bowl in plastic and allow to cool slightly. While still warm but no longer too hot to handle, use paper towels to remove skin from beets. Cut beets into small oblique cuts. Again, keep red beets separate.
- In a small sauté pan, heat coconut oil. Add mustard seeds and curry leaves, and cook until they sputter. Sprinkle in asafoetida and toast until
- Add coconut and toast until lightly browned. Add this mixture into the yogurt and let cool. Remove curry leaves and reserve yogurt mixture.
- Whisk oil with vinegar, sea salt, and pepper. Dress beets with vinaigrette.
- To serve, arrange dressed beets on a plate with dollops of yogurt. Top with sliced Serranos and sprinkle with toasted cumin.
- From Chef Maneet Chauhan of Chauhan Ale & Masala House, Nashville, TN