Field Pea Cakes
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Stir in onion and a pinch of salt. Cook, stirring, until very soft, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and chili powder and stir for 1 minute. Scrape into the bowl of a food processor. Add 1½ cups of the field peas, salt, and pepper. Pulse to finely chop. Scrape mixture into a bowl and stir in remaining 1½ cups of field peas and ½ cup of the breadcrumbs.
- Set up a dredging station by pouring flour into a shallow bowl. In a second shallow bowl, beat eggs until well combined. Pour remaining 1 cup of breadcrumbs into a third shallow bowl.
- Form bean mixture into small cakes about 2½ inches in diameter and ¾-inch thick. Lightly and evenly coat each cake in flour, then egg, and then breadcrumbs, pressing gently to help crumbs adhere.
- Fill skillet with oil to a depth of ¼ inch and heat on medium-high until oil is shimmering. Cook field pea cakes in two or three batches until browned and crispy, turning once with a spatula, about 2 minutes per side. Drain on paper towels. Serve warm with the tomato jam.
- Pour tomatoes and their liquid into a medium saucepan. Crush tomatoes with the back of a spoon. Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil, stirring until sugar dissolves.
- Lower heat and simmer until mixture thickens and reduces to the consistency of jam, about 45 minutes. Cool, cover, and refrigerate for up to one month.