1-2 shallots sliced thin
Olive oil as needed
18 dried figs (use fresh when in season)
¼ cup b1–2 egg whites,
2 tablespoons honey
¼ cup water or fruit juice
3 heads Bibb lettuce
Salt as needed
Spiced Pecans (recipe follows)
Goat cheese to top salads
2–4 tablespoons sugar
¼ teaspoon cayennealsamic vinegar
Fig Salade Vinaigrette
- Sauté shallots in oil until soft. Add figs, balsamic, honey, water or juice, and bring to a boil (Note: if using fresh figs, omit them from this step). Cool, strain figs, and reserve liquid.
- Toss lettuce with additional oil, pinch salt, and drizzle of vinegar-honey. Divide onto 6 plates.
- Slice figs in half and top each salad with halves and pecans. Crumble goat cheese over each plate and drizzle more vinegar-honey.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Whisk egg whites, sugar, salt, and cayenne. Stir pecans in mixture to coat.
- Butter or oil sheet pan, spread nuts evenly, and bake until toasted, about 10–15 minutes. Cool and break apart.
- from Chef Alex Gates of Hotel Saint Cecilia, Austin, TX