- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Season ribs generously with salt and five-spice, getting an even coating on all sides.
- Heat large bottom pot with enough olive oil to coat bottom. Sear short ribs in batches being careful to not overcrowd pot. When all ribs are seared, pour off excess fat.
- Add onions, carrot, celery, ginger, and lemongrass to pot. Sweat until tender then add cane syrup, rice wine vinegar, and red wine. Reduce over medium high heat until sec (almost no liquid left in pan). Add chicken stock, thyme, and rosemary, then add ribs back to pan and bring to light simmer.
- Cover with aluminum foil and place in oven until tender, about 3 hours.
- Remove pot from oven, and uncover. Allow ribs to rest at room temperature for 1 hour. After resting, remove short ribs from braising liquid. Strain liquid into another wide bottom pot and bring to boil. Reduce by half being careful not to over-reduce because of saltiness of the soy sauce. Return short ribs to sauce and serve with your favorite fall vegetables.